Job Title GENERAL FOREMAN-SUPPORT EQUIPMENT
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.ABOUT THIS ROLE:
- The role will coordinate and lead the efforts of a maintenance team to deliver scheduled and unscheduled maintenance services to ensure the safe and reliable performance of all support equipment and light vehicles to ensure optimal operational performance and mining production.
- Oversee compliance with all Health, Safety and Loss Prevention (HSLP), Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision, Government of Ghana Agencies, lending institutions, shareholders’ interests, and values.
- Ensure that equipment isolations are performed in accordance to established procedures.
- Supervise / coordinate the development and updating of all maintenance strategies and budgets for mine maintenance production assets and facilities.
- Ensure that the required support contracts are professionally developed and implemented according to company standards and policies.
- Provide input into the development and implementation of policies and procedures that result in optimum effectiveness, productivity and operating cost.
- Conduct and complete incident / accident investigations and take corrective action to prevent injury and / or re-occurrence.
- Ensure that security procedures are followed in order to minimize the opportunities for theft of equipment bearing material or company property.
- Report on standard maintenance measures that are directly related to the production fleets – namely, availability, mean repair duration, mean time between maintenance, component usage and cost (actual versus budget) on a monthly basis.
- Assist in capital evaluation of projects.
- Provide input into the production of Mine Maintenance monthly report.
- Review and update departmental procedures and policies, administer discipline, enforce company policy, and ensure compliance with state, federal, or other jurisdictional laws.
- Develop the operations Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), management plans and operating procedures, guidelines.
- Develop and implement efficient and cost-effective uses for new technologies.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Monitor adherence to Safety, Environmental, and Social Responsibility policies. Create a suitable work environment to motivate staff, employees and contractors to achieve optimum effectiveness, productivity and operating costs.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Respond to emergencies that could cause injury to personnel or loss to production.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Attend monthly safety inspections and meetings.
- Supervise allocated staff member(s) by:
- prioritizing and allocating tasks / responsibilities.
- checking and controlling the quality of work outputs.
- providing on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching.
- performing the performance appraisal.
- recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions.
- disciplining poor performance or actions
- approving leave.
- enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc
- Manage the following key planning activities:
- Optimizing standard job plans (resources, parts, tooling, task lists) for routine maintenance activities, based on site experience and OEM input, for all production fleets.
- Uploading and maintenance of all routine maintenance activities (labor, APLs, SJPs, costs, etc.) in SAP and Xeras / AMT.
- Uploading of work orders and requisitions (materials and services) in SAP.
- Confirming that parts and external labor are available prior to releasing work orders.
- Liaising with Supply Chain to expedite external parts and contractor labor suppliers, where necessary.
- Scheduling all routine maintenance activities (work orders) in consultation with Production and Maintenance, including short-term changes to the maintenance schedules based upon Production, Maintenance and Supply requirements.
- Provide quality work packs to the Maintenance Supervisors for all routine maintenance activities to ensure quality and efficient work execution.
- Review all maintenance schedules and coordinate activities with other departments in order to ensure optimal equipment and operation availability to meet production needs.
- Take accountability for ownership of the MOS elements MN04, MN25, MN02, and GE01, which entails:
- responsibility for taking action on identified improvement opportunities to the MOS Element.
- resolving MOS Element non-conformances by direct intervention/coaching wherever possible or referring non-conformances to direct supervisor for resolution if initial efforts are not successful.
- ensuring that all MOS Element documentation is current and approved changes to the MOS Element is communicated to all involved stakeholders.
- inducting new team members in their respective MOS elements.
- Research, evaluate, and recommend new maintenance equipment and tools to enhance the capabilities of the maintenance team.
- Evaluate, select, and manage relationships with contractors to minimize costs and ensure the organization receives satisfactory standards of service.
- Ensuring that the reliability team are monitoring, analyzing and reporting on equipment performance, operating practices and reliability to identify improvement opportunities (cost, reliability, capacity) and providing reliability reports as required.
- Reviewing the use of reliability analysis tools including reliability centered maintenance optimization, defect elimination and Root Cause Analysis.
Formal Qualification (including professional registrations):
- Degree in Engineering (Mechanical) or HND / Tech (III) in Mechanical Engineering.
- Engineering Superintendent Certification of competency from the inspectorate division of Minerals Commission, Ghana.
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Thorough knowledge of the work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Advanced knowledge of the operation of the CMMS (Ellipse / SAP).
- Advanced knowledge of performance measures and their interpretation.
- Advanced knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing large and diverse teams.
- Experience with facility designs and equipment, development and management of MARC agreements, and tire maintenance programs.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills - MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and ERP/CMMS.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Conflict management and influencing skills.
- Financial administration, analysis and reporting skills.
- Detail Focused.
- Safety Conscious.
- Pro-active and Takes initiative.
- Results driven.
- Attentive to Detail.
- Team player.
- Position is located in Akyem.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job:
- specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- physical demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- work environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. The employee is required to regularly operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, slippery surfaces etc.
- protective equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask, based on working conditions.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.